An exciting journey that commenced in 1998……….
With a vision of helping young women and men to transform themselves to become child-centric Montessori teachers, IMTC-Chennai was born; founded in Chennai by Ms. Uma Shanker, the goal of the institution was to propagate the Montessori method and philosophy through the medium of the teachers that it would train. IMTC-Chennai set itself the objective of “providing a high-quality pre-school and elementary education based on the Montessori approach to children, to support their psycho-social and educational development in their early years”.
With a deep belief that this is a tried and tested, scientific method to help children grow to their optimum potential, senior Montessorians with over thirty years of experience have come together to share their knowledge and skills; to kindle the interest of young teacher aspirants to enable them create child-centric environments and discover for themselves the powers within the child and the significance of the early years of childhood.
IMTC-Chennai offers an educational & training course with a difference where students get an opportunity to discuss, debate and learn; write and practice hands-on with the equipment to refine their skills. The institution offers a curriculum that empowers parents and teachers to address the needs of the child with true understanding and insight. IMTC- Chennai offers 3 courses every year, viz. the Primary Montessori Course (week-day), Primary Montessori Course (week-end) and the Elementary Montessori Course (week-end), These courses are between 9 to 12 month duration.
IMTC-Chennai offers workshops and advisory services to schools that wish to set-up Montessori environments and in streamlining their pedagogy in areas such as mathematics, language and so on. since inception 50 schools have been started by students from our institution. Alumni-Schools
Creating a climate for learning where it matters the most.
- IMTC-Chennai is a Montessori teacher training institute that is committed to the Montessori method and philosophy
Montessori defined education as “an aid to life”.
- IMTC- Chennai assists in the transformation of teachers to prepare high quality preschool and elementary education based on the Montessori approach to children, to support their psycho-social and cognitive development in their early years
- IMTC- Chennai also aims at empowering women to qualify themselves to work in a sphere that will give them respect, dignity and economic independence
- IMTC- Chennai aims at spreading the Montessori method of education all over Tamilnadu and beyond
To help develop the following potentialities in human beings – children, teachers, and ourselves:
- The zest for living born that comes from appreciating and absorbing the world with our five senses.
- A lively, intellectual curiosity that makes the world an exciting laboratory thus paves the way for scientific enquiry and keeps one ever a learner.
- Flexibility when confronted with change and the ability to give up ideas and patterns that no longer relate to the present.
- Courage to work efficiently and without fear in a fast changing world, adapting to new needs and new ideas.
- Gentleness combined with justice in passing judgment on other human beings.
- Sensitivity to see the other person as a human being seeking a good life through his own standards.
Indian Montessori Centre (IMC) is a registered society with its headquarters in Bangalore, India. The Indian Montessori Centre was formed in 1988 to support the Indian Montessori Training Courses (IMTC) and propagate the Montessori philosophy and the Montessori method of education. As at the end of 2019, there are 18 one-year courses being conducted by IMTCs in 14 centres. Indian Montessori Centre awards diplomas to the successful students of the Primary and Elementary courses being conducted in different parts of the country every year by various IMTCs. As a national organisation and admits individual as well as institutional members from India and abroad and has active chapters in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Haryana.